In February 2015, Housing Virginia released a study conducted in partnership with the Virginia Center for Housing Research at Virginia Tech that explores the impact of energy efficient design and construction on affordable multifamily rental housing in Virginia.
About this study:
- Spanned 15 LIHTC (Low Income Housing Tax Credit) properties across Virginia
- Studied family, senior, new construction, and acquisition/rehab properties
- Collected actual utility usage data and behavior surveys
Apartments in the Study:
- Use 40% less energy than housing built to existing code requirements
- Performed 17% better than forecast in EarthCraft’s prediction model
You can find the full study here.