COVID-19’s Impact on Affordable Housing in Virginia
News, data, and policy updates surrounding the novel coronavirus outbreak’s impact on affordable housing in Virginia.
Richmond Non-profit Housing Impact Study
The pandemic changed our world in unprecedented ways. Affordable housing and homelessness were no exception. To help understand how COVID-19 impacted nonprofit providers in the Richmond region, we teamed up with the Virginia Housing Alliance to interview and survey organization leaders several times over the past year. Here’s what they told us.
- Addressing the needs of persons experiencing homelessness remains the most complex and profound impact of the pandemic.
- Unprecedented levels of temporary support helped most providers avoid layoffs, but staff still need support.
- Although concern about staff reductions and meeting immediate needs has waned, uncertainty over future funding remains high.
- Rental housing development flourishes, though cost increases and provision of services are challenging.
- Homeownership programs face cost increases and other pandemic-induced barriers to homebuyer readiness.
Philanthropic institutions—who supported this research—have the opportunity to strengthen these providers so they can fully meet the necessary challenges ahead. In the report, we’ve offered solutions that address both organizational and programmatic support.
Housing Data Dashboard
The coronavirus pandemic puts all Virginia households under economic stress. This is more acute for families and individuals who are lower income and housing insecure. In line with our mission to provide data that is relevant, accurate and up to date, we’ve created this COVID-19 dashboard to make this connection easier to understand.
The dashboard shows confirmed COVID-19 case counts along with measures of housing instability and economic status for each locality across Virginia. We don’t have socioeconomic data for persons with positive cases, but as the virus spreads, this tool will allow you to track the potential impact of COVID-19 on our more vulnerable neighbors.
We’ll update the dashboard weekly with the newest case counts from the Virginia Department of Health.
How to use:
- Hover over localities to browse data via information pop-ups.
- Click individual localities to have city/county data populate the tables in the bottom half.
- Click the “download” button in the bottom right to save the dashboard as an image or PDF.
Request more informationHave additional data that you would like to see here? Questions about sources? Need help with a specific request? Let us know. Please note that HousingForward Virginia is not a state agency, housing provider, or direct service organization. If you need help with rent or mortgage payments due to COVID-19, call 2-1-1 or go to Virginia DHCD's website. If you need other housing assistance, please contact Virginia Housing at 1-877-VHDA-123 or go to www.VHDA.com.
April 2020 COVID-19 Stakeholder Survey
We asked, you answered.
This April, as we were all becoming aware of just how severe the COVID-19 pandemic would be, we checked your “pulse” with regards to your organization’s immediate response and needs. Click here for a rundown of the results from that survey to give you a better perspective for how your fellow housing professionals are dealing with this challenge throughout Virginia.